Saturday, March 17, 2012

[REC] Again

Back in the studio today... in the perfect mood to add in the much needed melody lines in the final piece.

I'm using a beautiful expressive oboe line for it. It melds wonderfully with the string quartette in the beginning.

The thing about making a synthetic/sampled woodwind instrument sound natural and believable is to pay close attention to its most obvious traits - it is monophonic, and it played by breath...  so when performing the part, make sure no two notes played in succession overlap at all, and leave a reasonable amount of breathing room between phrases. I've heard many keyboardist in the past miss this first rule, and it always is a audio poke in the face to me that distracts from the intent of the performance.

Anyway, today, I will be completely done with the first and last movements of the composition.

Tomorrow, I'm scheduled to record additional percussion and sweetening tracks for The Bridge.  And then sit down with a nice (pot of?) Irish Coffee to tackle the final mix and mastering.