Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy Friken New Year

OK. I'm only going to bitch about this once (today).

I had two very productive and sweet sounding days in the studio Friday and Saturday. However, due to technical difficulties (the source of which is still being researched and not known), I not only lost all the work I did those days, but the backups taken after each session were also all corrupt. VERY disappointed. Like losing a puppy.

So today and tomorrow will be about recreating, not creating, and coming up with a new triple verification quadruple redundant hourly backup scheme. It's crap like this that almost disappoints me to the point of stopping recording.

And I was SO careful too - after each session (about 2 hours a pop) I backed up the ENTIRE recording project to a separate internal HD, and and external HD. I then let Time Machine do its thing to back up just the changed files to the time capsule drive. I then even REOPENED the backed up projects to make sure they were openable and valid. They were. The next morning when I go to start another session, the computer hangs on trying to access the external drive. No problem... nothing was running, the files were not open, so I do a hard reboot. Starts up fine I go to open the projects - ... - ... ERROR -39 encountered - data lost. So I restore from backups, feeling all "see - this is why..." and so glad I had backups. SAME THING! I try the manual backups - SAME THING. Restored last version from Time Machine. S.A.M.E. T.H.I.N.G!!!

Pissed and ready to cry, I try a time machine version from back on Dec 31. Thank GOD it was good. But I lost everything else.

So now, just for fun and torture, I am moving to record on my laptop now. Installing all the software and current drivers for my stuff and just starting a new approach.

Here's to a better 2011 that what I've had so far. Wish you could have heard the new tracks - VERY interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment