Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas comes a bit early

Yesterday, I got a new audio interface for my studio - an M-Audio (Avid) 8R. This sexy unit has 8 audio inputs (both XLR with phantom power and 1/4 phone in), 8 outputs, 4 separate mix outputs, to dual independent headphone monitors, basic MIDI, and - the main reason I got it - S/PDIF input and output. So now the signal path from the Motif to the computer and out to the monitors is a pure digital path. No more noise from layering dozens of tracks of audio. And it works perfectly, unlike my experience with a Tascam unit I tried last week. Yay!

Installed it last night and played with it a bit and the comparison to what I had before is quite dramatically better. So now I can bounce those scrubbed midi tracks to audio tracks and start sculpting and mixing them. Still have a ground loop / shielding issue with the monitors themselves. I'll work that out somehow.

Now my only fear is running out of CPU power. There are a bunch of tricks I can use to manage that, so I think it's full steam ahead now.

Oh... and...

I've decided how to begin that the whole Ceastra suite now. I didn't want to just jump right into the tune cold, and was drawing a blank as to how to intro to it. It came to me in a trance. And it will be just right for the feel of the piece.

But, as life goes on, and the holidays start, my time constraints are tightening more and more. I need to carve out more time daily to record and mix.

Lord I need a stay-cation...

-

So - here's the track list of the album "Ceastra" as it has firmed up now:

1. Ceastra Suite:
- Wonder
- Ceastra I
- FCTM
- Autumn Again
- RB’s Who
- Of My Dreams
- Comfort
- Ceastra II
- Memento Mori

2. Symphonia Obscura

3. Awakening – Return to Ceastra

No comments:

Post a Comment